[mythtv-users] Last few problems - playback consistency, auto-shutdown questions, live firewire

Chris Weiland hobbiticus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 00:43:18 UTC 2007

So, I got my hardware for my dedicated myth box and I'm just about done
setting it up.  However, I've run into a few snags that I can't figure out
yet.

1) When watching HD content, sometimes the video will speed up suddenly for
up to 30 seconds, leaving the audio out of sync.  After a few more seconds,
the video will slow down for about the same amount of time until the audio
finally syncs back up.  This is sometimes accompanied by the audio speeding
up while catching up.  I havn't a clue as to what is causing this.

I thought it was due to excessive CPU usage by xorg.  Like some other users,
my xorg usage was through the roof while watching anything, which was fixed
by setting the "UseEvents" option to "True" in my xorg.conf.  This seems to
have made the problem occur less often, but it definitely still happens.  I
also don't see any correlation to spikes in CPU usage.  This is definitely
not an artifact from the broadcaster because I can rewind to the
"problematic" area and view it normally.

2) I'm trying to setup my myth box to shut itself off when idle then turn
itself back on when there is something to record.  However, it's almost too
good at this.  For example, I'd like it to be able to run mythfilldatabase
and comm flag jobs as well.  So, after it wakes up to record something, I'd
like to to comm flag what it just recorded (and any other outstanding comm
flag jobs for whatever reason), and possibly run mythfilldatabase before
shutting itself off.  Is there any way to do this?

3) For some reason, I'm able to record programs off of my firewire
connection, but I am not able to watch live TV.  If I hit Live TV, myth will
bring up my tv tuner card, then when I try to change inputs (to the
firewire), the screen goes black for about 10 seconds then returns to the
main menu.  I don't see anything strange in my backend log either.  Why
won't it let me watch live?

Also, an aside: This is a long shot, but is there a way to turn on my myth
box with a remote control (with a USB receiver)?  Is there a way to use the
wake on lan feature to allow an HTTP request (i.e. trying to access mythweb)
to turn on the machine?

I've got the following system:
AMD 64 3800+
Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard