[mythtv-users] Upgrade old or cut my losses and buy new?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Mar 4 19:20:41 UTC 2007

I'm in search of HD...  My cheapie Sempron 3000 CPU just won't do HD.
It's clocked at 1.8 GHz and has a 128K L2 cache.

I can get an Athlon 64 3000+ that will fit the mobo for $60; it has 512K
L2 cache and is clocked 20% faster than the Sempron, at 2.00 GHz.

Or should I go for a new AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ system?  That comes in
at $400.  The computer in question will only be used as a HD frontend;
it has no other function, so if I can get good assurance an upgraded CPU
will push my TV at 1366x720p I don't want to spend the money.  But then
again, I don't want to spend $60 only to have a system that still
doesn't work.....

The mobo:

       product: K8V-X SE
       vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.