[mythtv-users] 800 MHz P3 for HDTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 4 14:28:57 UTC 2007

On Mar 4, 2007, at 3:10 AM, Bob wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> On Mar 3, 2007, at 8:09 PM, Bob wrote:
>
> 8< snip GP2X chat
>
>> I bought it with an eye towards trying to use it as an SD-only
>> frontend. The main problem right now is that any sort of networking
>> requires bulky power-draining external devices or a connection to
>> another machine via USB.
>>
>> There is apparently hardware support for SDIO devices in the SD slot,
>> but so far no software drivers to take advantage of that ability. If
>> that changes it might be a practical portable F/E, obviously with
>> limited capability but perhaps on a par with the MediaMVP or the like
>> but wireless and battery-powered.
>
> That would rock, I thought about getting an Archos 604 Wifi to try
> build
> a mini mobile SD-FE with but at the moment I have to many projects.

The Archos units seem to be over-priced, to me at least.

> With any luck in a year or to we'll be able to get PalmPCs with
> digital
> AV-I/O that will make all this trivial, but I'm not going to hold
> my breath.

I wouldn't either. The problem with units sold in the USA, even
though they may be sold elsewhere as well, is that they are ridden
with DRM in an attempt to avoid lawsuits from the Hollywood types.
Remember that in the USA you are guilty if you *might* violate the
law, not only if you actually do it, at least according to Hollywood.

This is why units such as the GP2X are not sold, or at least not
marketed, in the US.