[mythtv-users] Writing a dual layer DVD+R DL disk

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 4 00:35:37 UTC 2007

On Mar 3, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Carl Fongheiser wrote:

> On 3/3/07, Mark Smith <mark at chez-moi.org.uk> wrote:
> I'm trying to write an image onto a dual layer DVD+R disk using
> growisofs:
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso
>
> On my FC6 Myth box, it consistently gets a third of the way in before
> failing:
>
> 2437349376/7376338944 (33.0%) @2.5x, remaining 24:12 RBU 100.0%
> UBU  94.4%
> 2448752640/7376338944 (33.2%) @2.5x, remaining 24:10 RBU 100.0%
> UBU  94.4%
> 2460188672/7376338944 (33.4%) @2.5x, remaining 24:06 RBU 100.0%
> UBU  94.4%
> 2471624704/7376338944 (33.5%) @2.5x, remaining 24:02 RBU 100.0%
> UBU  94.4%
> 2483060736/7376338944 (33.7%) @2.5x, remaining 24:00 RBU 100.0%
> UBU  94.4%
> 2494496768/7376338944 (33.8%) @2.5x, remaining 23:56 RBU 100.0%
> UBU  94.4%
> :-[ WRITE at LBA=12a760h failed with SK=3h/ASC=0Ch/ACQ=00h]: Input/
> output error
> :-( write failed: Input/output error
>

> Unfortunately, that's simply a generic write error.
>

> The media I'm trying to use is Datawrite 2.4x 8.5GB DVD+R DL.
>
> You might try a different brand. A different burner might help, too.

You might clean the laser lens. When they get dirty they start to
fail on the DL disks before they crap out on the single-layer ones.
You can use "manual" techniques or get one of the cleaning disks. If
you go the latter route be sure and use one designed for DVDs, the
ones made for CDs have brushes that can damage a DVD lens. I don't
know if you have Radio Shack's in the UK but they have a nice one
(model 44-1250), unfortunately it costs as much as a new drive these
days.

The price is high because it has all sorts of test video and audio on
it, anything from simple audio frequency response to pro-logic
decoder tests, 4 and 5 channel tests, video test signals and real-
life footage that stresses MPEG encoding/decoding like helicopter
rotors at slow speed etc.

Even though you are recording I think it has to be able to read the
pregroove, especially on the +Rs which have addressing info there
which the -Rs do not.

If it's failing at the same spot on each disk it may well be dirt or
something on the worm gear driving the laser head.

> Does anyone have any ideas? If it fails in this way is there any
> way of
> restarting it, or is the disk only good for the bin?
>
> Unfortunately, it's useless now.

They make nice coasters, and put on an interesting show in a
microwave oven.