[mythtv-users] Linux noob needs help troubleshooting myth plug-in problems

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 23:32:07 UTC 2007

David Watkins wrote:
> On 03/03/07, Jeff <muscles641 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for getting back to me Brad.
>>
>> As far as I can tell all of the directories appear to be correct.  Here are
>> the directories that were created:
>> /usr/share/mythtv
>> /usr/share/mythtv/games
>> /usr/share/mythtv/i18n
>> /usr/share/mythtv/mythflix
>> /usr/share/mythtv/mythnews
>> /usr/share/mythtv/mythvideo
>> /usr/share/mythtv/mythweather
>> /usr/share/mythtv/themes
>>
>> and:
>> /var/lib/mythmusic
>> /var/lib/mythpictures
>> /var/lib/mythtv
>> /var/lib/mythvideo
>>
>> Does this seem right
>
> I'm not quite sure where you're at.   mythvideo, mythmusic and
> mythgallery won't do anything sensible until you've configured them
> via the frontend setup programme.  You have to define the directory
> where you're going to store content and configure the programme you're
> going to use for playback (although the defaults will probably work
> fine).  Then you have to put your videos, music files and pictures
> into the defined directory locations and, in the case of music and
> videos, do a scan for content, to update the database.  For music
> files the option is 'Scan for Music'  for videos it's 'Manage Videos'.
>
> Then you should be able to go into the media section of the frontend
> and watch videos or listen to music.

Since these are plugins, they have their own setup - different than the
MythTV setup. Since you just brought up MythTV, let's start at the
beginning. Are you able to record and/or view the inputs to your
backend? For instance, if you have a PVR250, can you view TV and record
programs and view them?

brad