[mythtv-users] AMD guide to building a Media PC

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 07:36:50 UTC 2007

Smarter people than me wrote:
> ... That's marketing speak you've been reading. And I'd bet
> that the marketing folks never talk to the folks that write the Linux
> drivers... ;)
>
> Note that the suggested CPU is marginal at best for HD, I'd guess
> they are counting on help from the GPU and/or MCP.
>
> I suspect this is a case of paying a lot for "extras" that a Myth
> system can't and probably never will be able to use.

OK. OK.

I still think I have the right stuff to perform frontend only HD
playback.  Here is what I ordered from newegg.com earlier today.

- IN WIN IW-BT611T.240SL Black/ Silver metal MicroATX Desktop Computer Case
- ASUS M2NBP-VM CSM Socket AM2 NVIDIA Quadro NVS 210S Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+(65W) Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor
- 1 GB (512 x 2) DDR2 800 SDRAM

I think the 3800+ dual core should do the job.

The overall price is surprisingly affordable, IMHO.  For less than
$400, I get a nice-looking slimline case, a mobo with integrated
graphics that will drive HD, a dual core processor and a gig of
high-speed RAM.

My only concern is not having a serial port.  I currently drive lirc
via a serial port IR receiver.  However, I did see a post a couple of
days ago on building an IR receiver that drive lirc the the MIC input
port.

Wish me luck!

Tom