[mythtv-users] AMD guide to building a Media PC

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Sat Mar 3 07:09:24 UTC 2007

On Mar 02, 2007, at 22:17, Brian Wood wrote:

>> On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 18:57 -0800, Tom Greer wrote:
>>> Since this is directly from NVIDIA, it makes me feel very
>>> comfortable
>>> that my choices in hardware are sufficient to support full HDTV
>>> without any annoying prebuffering pauses.
>>
>> I wouldn't.  That's marketing speak you've been reading.  And I'd bet
>> that the marketing folks never talk to the folks that write the Linux
>> drivers... ;)
[...]
> Note that the suggested CPU is marginal at best for HD, I'd guess
> they are counting on help from the GPU and/or MCP.

Caveat: a 3500 is NOT marginal at best for a frontend-only system,
and probably isn't all that bad for an all-in-one myth box (though
I'd probably want a dual-core for that, just to be safe). My frontend
sports a 3500 and it never gets above 40% busy playing back HDTV
material. (I know, I've probably said that a few thousand times now).

> But I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from posting what
> looks like it even might be of interest, and this is certainly one
> place to go for feedback on such discoveries.
>
> I suspect this is a case of paying a lot for "extras" that a Myth
> system can't and probably never will be able to use.

Such a motherboard is ~$100, and the onboard video, sound, lan and so
on all do work under linux for the most part. Its not as rosy as if
you were running Windows, but its not that bleak either.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com