[mythtv-users] AMD guide to building a Media PC

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 02:57:41 UTC 2007

I am in the process of building an additional frontend to drive HDTV.

In order to keep the unit small, I chose a microATX motherboard with
integrated NVIDIA 6 GPU and an AMD AM2 socket.

I wanted to be sure that the integrated graphics could drive HDTV, so
I searched AMD's web site.  I stumbled across a nice document that
provides some great information regarding building media PCs.  It's
here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/build_guide_mediaCenter.html.

Here are a couple of snippets:

If you are looking to build a great media PC in a small form factor or
for a low price, consider NVIDIA GPU Motherboard Solutions featuring
an NVIDIA(r) GeForce(r) 6 Series graphics processing units (GPU),
NVIDIA(r) PureVideo™ HD video processing, and an NVIDIA nForce(r)4
media and communications processor (MCP).

NVIDIA recommends using the combination of an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and
1GB PC-3200 DDR RAM for media center PC.

NVIDIA recommends using the standard micro-ATX form factor to build
compact or slim media PCs.

Since this is directly from NVIDIA, it makes me feel very comfortable
that my choices in hardware are sufficient to support full HDTV
without any annoying prebuffering pauses.

Tom