[mythtv-users] Myth upgrade 0.19->0.20 and MySQL upgrade 4.1->5.0 ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 2 18:01:28 UTC 2007

On Mar 2, 2007, at 10:40 AM, matthew.garman at gmail.com wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has a link to a repository of known
> "gotchas" when upgrading MythTV 0.19 to 0.20, and at the same time
> upgrading MySQL from 4.1.x to 5.0.x?
>
> FWIW, I've got *reliably working* MythTV setup on Gentoo for my
> parents.  My dad wants the MythArchive functionality; unfortunately,
> installing MythArchive requires an upgrade.  Current: 0.19_p10505,
> destination: 0.20_p12172.  Likewise, portage wants to upgrade MySQL:
> 4.1.21 to 5.0.26-r2.
>
> I live 150 miles away from them, and so I'd hate to break it!
> There's a *lot* of posts on the subject, so I was hoping someone had
> compiled an upgrade guide.

Rule One: If it's "reliably working" leave it alone :-)

Do your folks really want MythArchive, or do they just want to be
able to make DVDs? If it's the latter, and they have a general
purpose home computer, you might consider the MythBurn feature of
MythWeb. It works quite well for me, though I understand some folks
have had problems with it (you could probably say the same thing
about MythArchive).

MythArchive gives you some features other than simply making DVDs
from recordings, but I think a lot of folks just want the basic DVD-
making feature.

Of course you may have to upgrade sometime. Your best bet might be to
copy off any recordings you want to save and start from scratch,
that's generally a more reliable answer for almost any type of
software upgrade.

Remote system maintenance can be a bear. My Mom is literally 100 feet
away and even that can be a nuisance :-)