[mythtv-users] Using commercial PVR (Topfield, Humax, etc) as a frontend

migmog migmog at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 17:01:29 UTC 2007

> What is it you want to control via the web ? Recordings can be
> scheduled via a web browser by a TiVo, assuming it's connected to the
> internet (or your own internal network). The Series 2 units use a
> standard USB to ethernet adapter, but it has to be one of the
> "supported" ones. This function may only be available in the USA
> however, and I don't know where you are (gmail could be anywhere).

I'm in the UK. Tivo is not available.

> But you'd give up SO much by using a TiVo, at least IMHO, that I
> wouldn't go that route. Certainly a TiVo could never talk to a Myth
> backend without major hacking. The brain-damaged CPUs in commercial
> PVRs are so slow that even running a modern web browser would be
> tough, and they only output at TV resolutions so web pages would
> either have to be re-formatted or look terrible (or, more probably,
> both).

I don't want to view the web page on the PVR, I want to view the
(myth)web page on my laptop to pick shows to record. I also want to be
able to do this from anywhere on the internet.

Can a PVR play Myth recordings? I'm interested on DVB, so the format
should be the same