[mythtv-users] starting MythTV channels my tunechan

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Fri Mar 2 01:58:13 UTC 2007

Willy Boyd wrote:
> On 3/1/07, Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:
>> How can I force MythTV to leave my tune channel set to 4? I do not
>> have an IR blaster installed yet, FWIW. Manually setting the card back
>> to the right channel via the command line seems to work, at least part
>> of the time, but this is a PITA...
>
> There is a setting in mythtv-setup when you set up this capture card.
> Something like "channel preset".  I think the description for the
> option specifically mentions something about setting the tuner
> properly in the case of external tuning sources like what you have set
> up.

In addition to setting the channel to go to when mythbackend stats up,
you'll need to specify a channel-changing command, also in mythtv-setup,
so mythbackend will use that command to change channels instead of
changing the channel on your tuner card.

But that leads me to my next point: If you need to change channels on
your satellite box, you're going to need an IR blaster, which you say
you don't have yet.  You won't be able to use MythTV without it.  Most
people are lucky enough to have unencrypted TV feeds, and can use their
tuner card to change channels, but not you and I.