[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 18:48:36 UTC 2007

On 2/27/07, Michael Rice <mikerice1969 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Currently I have a number of premium digital cable channels that I record by
> capturing the output of the cable box.  With MythTV I can record movies from
> HBO and Showtime, etc. and watch them on my schedule.  I also subscribe to
> the NHL package and since the games I am interested in are aired when I am
> working it would be useless if I could not record it.
>
> So at some point these channels become HD and due to copy protection (HDCP?)
> I will not be able to record these channels.  Is this correct or is there
> some solution to this now or coming up?

You don't need to eliminate your current SD recording setup to go HD.
Add HD tuners, and supplement your current configuration.  You won't
lose anything from your current config, you'll just add high quality
HD recordings for your local broadcasts.

OTA broadcast channels are required to change to digital format,  but
the cable companies are under no such requirement.  While more
networks will add an HD version of their channels, they will also be
available as SD for the foreseeable future.  The cable/satellite
systems are not going to abandon the SD majority.

In the future, other options may become available for recording HD,
or maybe not.  But, in my opinion, there is enough available on the
broadcast channels alone to justify upgrades.  Especially if you're a
sports fan.