[mythtv-users] pvr-150 and either kworld atsc-110 or ati hdtv pci remotes

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Mar 1 16:51:03 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 March 2007 10:58, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> I have a pvr-150 and am thinking about getting either a kworld
> atsc-110(For digital only, the 150 does my analog) or an ati hdtv pci.
> Both come with remotes.  Would I be able to just use one of the remotes
> to change everything, or would I need to hook up both ir receivers and
> use both remotes (or a universal remote)

My understanding is that once you configure LIRC to work with either of your
remotes, that remote will control everything. Basically, LIRC tricks the
system into treating whatever comes from the remote as if it were a keyboard
keypress. (You get to set up the mapping, so pressing the Pause button sends
whatever keypress you want.) That said, I use an IR keyboard and universal
remote; I've never actually configured LIRC, so I could be gravely
misinformed.

> Also, how do I find out what my cable company uses (8VSB, QAM64 and
> QAM256)  Right now I get my hd channels fine (local channels) on my
> vizio tv, but if I upgrade my cable will I get the better channels too
> (I have just basic, not expanded)

Most US cable systems use QAM256, but a few use QAM64 for some or all
channels. My understanding is that 8VSB is used mainly or exclusively for
broadcasts, not cable. I don't know of any way of telling what your provider
uses except to perform a channel scan with the appropriate hardware. (In
theory asking them might work, but I'm sure such details are beyond the scope
of most CSRs' knowledge.)

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com