[mythtv-users] playback not smooth regardless of source

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Thu Mar 1 05:31:57 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:03:52PM +0000, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> > A few observations:
> >
> > - 1080i w/o deint is awful.  No jitter as far as I can tell but other
> >  problems that I don't really know how to describe.
> >
> > - surprisingly to me 720p with Bob seems to work w/o issue.  I recall
> >  watching a ripped DVD at 720p a few weeks back (before I figured out
> >  how to get my TV to 1080i) and it had the same jitter issues I have
> >  seen recently.  Now it seems to be fine.  This time I tried a ripped
> >  DVD and then watched some HD.  No problems in the short time I watched
> >  either of those.
> >
> > - all tests were with openglsync enabled in the frontend.
>
> Mmmm  - you might want to check openglvsync again. Both logs show that
> it isn't being used - are you sure it's compiled in? Though I wouldn't
> expect the setting to appear if it wasn't.

I think you are on to something here.  I ran 'glxinfo' and it told me
that Direct Rendering was 'no' and it showed that it was pulling in the
MESA libs instead of the nvidia libs.  So I re-installed the nvidia
driver and I did a few other things.  Now glxinfo shows that Direct
Rendering is 'yes' and it pulls in the Nvidia libs.

I turned on playback logging and searched for anything 'gl' or 'GL'
related.  I didn't find anything so I searched for 'sync' or 'Sync' and
didn't find anything then.  What should I be looking for here?  When I
turned on 'all' logging I found where Myth was looking for the
UseOpenGLVSync setting in mysql, but I found nothing else.  mysql does,
in fact, say that this setting is '1'.

I may just be happy after a long but productive day at work but it seems
the 1080i playback with the DVD got better once I fixed the GLX
problems.  It's not perfect, but better.  Or so it seems.

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org
Hofstadter's Law: