[mythtv-users] Takes long time to enter "Watch Recordings" menu

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Mar 1 05:16:21 UTC 2007

* On Wed Feb 28, 2007 at 06:57:43PM -0500, Tony Lill wrote:
> The problem is that the frontend downloads program info for every
> recording you have, not just the ones it is displaying at the
> moment. This means multiple megabytes of data in your case. If you

I've got a note on my TODO to look into allowing the frontend to
only request recordings from a specific recording group, but that is
very low priority for me right now.

> to timeout. Another possible issue is that it also checks if each
> file exists, so if you have disks spun down of are using an
> automounter, that adds a bunch more delay.

This is true for 0.20 and prior, but 0.21 will not do this anymore.
This was being done to allow the MasterBackendOverride setting to
force the master to hand out it's own info for any file that it could
serve up even if it was recorded on a slave.  Now, we just determine
that information when you actually go to play a file, rather than
prechecking every file when you get the recording list.

> They are re-designing communications for 0.21 so it caches all of this
> crap, and only updates what it needs. Whether or not it solves all the
> problems remains to be seen.

Yes, in current SVN, we cache the program list so that we only
retrieve the list if we receive an event from the backend that
indicates the list has changed.  When you do things like switch
recording groups, etc. we just use the cached copy of the list.

> I do have a patch...

This is similar to what I was thinking.  I saved it in my patches
directory for when I finally take a look at this. :)

--
Chris