[mythtv-users] FC6 i386 to FC7 x86_64

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 15:19:50 UTC 2007

On 6/30/07, Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a minimum set of  programs that I have to update together to make
> the switch to
> x86_64?

I think the biggest problem is with library files - 64-bit Linux uses
/usr/lib64, and weird things happen (like, not booting all the way) if
you try to do an upgrade from 32 to 64 bits (I speak from personal
experience, BTW). In your case there's the additional problem of
64-bit programs trying to run on a 32-bit kernel.

So I don't think what you want to do (install packages on a running
system to upgrade to 64 bits) is possible.

If you have the DVD ISO image, you could extract the boot files
(everything in the DVD's /isolinux directory) from it (or burn just
"boot.iso"), boot to the install version of Linux, then point it at
the directory on your drive which contains the ISO image.

If you did that, then you could do the following:

1) From your current version (FC6), dump your Mysql data to a text file
2) Boot your system with Knoppix or something similar.
3) Create a "/old" directory, and move all root directories (except /home) there
4) Do a clean install of 64-bit Linux (including Mythtv)
5) import your Mysql data into the 64-bit version
6) Copy any settings and passwords needed from /etc and
/var/lib/mythtv (if that's mythtv's home directory on your system)

The above assumes that you're not also running Postgresql. If you are,
you'd also need:

1a) Dump Postgresql data to a text file
5a) Import Postgresql data into the 64-bit version

If you want to make sure you have the same packages installed on the
64-bit version, then also do the following:
1b) rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}\n'|grep -v gpgkey|sort -u >oldlist
7) rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}\n'|grep -v gpgkey|sort -u >newlist
8) install everything in oldlist which isn't in newlist

Calvin