[mythtv-users] Xbox MythTv with SVN trunk?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Fri Jun 29 19:30:12 UTC 2007

On 29-Jun-07, at 2:51 PM, Steve MacLaren wrote:

> I would be grateful if someone could run down a quick pros/cons of
> using XBMC vs Xebian for something that would be a dedicated
> MythFrontend.

This isn't exhaustive but in rough:

Xebian
+ gives you a full myth frontend same as you'd see on any other platform
- you have to wait a minute or so for linux to boot
- the myth frontend needs more memory than an xbox has so when you do
something that crosses code libraries, like moving between plugins,
there's a pause while the system swaps code in and out

Personally I spend most of my myth time watching shows rather than
moving between menus so I feel the memory issue is overstated.

XBMC
+ looks and feels like an xbox app
+ has the full power of the video hardware so it looks slick too
+ you can have it as your dashboard so it's maybe 5 seconds from
power up to having the menus available
- limited number of myth features: live TV and prerecorded shows (w/
commercial skip) but no access to scheduling (as I recall)
- myth plugin's UI is weird in places
- development lags myth svn, sometimes by quite a bit

It's perfectly reasonable to use XMBC as your dashboard and have
Xebian configured as an entry in its programs section. I do something
like this and get the best of both worlds.

- George