[mythtv-users] This is not a spam

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Jun 29 16:03:33 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> David Schmidt wrote:
>> I got two in my gmail as well.  Subjects were "[mythtv-users] rude
>> polar bear" and "[mythtv-users] orbiting insurance agent."
>
> I didn't get either of those, but I don't use gmail. I checked my "junk"
> directories and nothing of that sort was there.
>
> Sounds like the common thread here is gmail ?
>
> BEWW

To clarify, two of those I got were those described above. However, the
sender's details are usually made up on the spot (typically randomised
from stuff the botted machine received previously) so I didn't bother
posting them.

If I had received these spams myself, I wouldn't have bothered posting
to the list. The list is where they came from (apparently). Since others
have had items wth the same headers, this more or less proves that the
list was used as a conduit.

Gmail? No thank you. However, Thunderbird regularly flags up genuine
entries that have come from gmail sources; I manually override them if
they are genuine - 99% are. The above mentioned spams were *not* flagged.

If a bit of chat helps reduce the spam rate to zero, and keeps the list
clean, I consider it worth while. Hence the original post.

Mike Perkins