[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption
Steven Adeff
adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:07:07 UTC 2007
On 6/28/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, David Brodbeck wrote:
> >
> >> Unless you've lived in suburbia you really don't know what a powerful
> >> force neighborhood associations can be. Fighting city hall sometimes
> >
> > Uh, I live in suburbia and I've never heard of such a thing. I own my house.
> > As long as I follow zoneing laws, anyone tells me what color to paint my
> > house I tell them to go sit on a tack.
>
> Such laws (or "protective covenants") were passed in the early days when
> C-Band satellite dishes were considered eyesores to upscale housing
> developments. Since people with more money than sense often bought big
> houses and wanted sat service it was a common problem.
>
> Nowadays, with smaller antennas, the "covenants" are used to protect
> CATV franchises.
>
> Or am I just getting cynical ?
But isn't it "illegal" to not allow someone to put up a satellite dish?
I also don't understand these whole "home owners association" things.
So, you *own* the land, and some random people are going to tell you
what you can and cannot do? What authority do they have? It's not like
they can call the FBI and have them raid your home and shoot your dog
because you chose a green that was two shades off or you built your
porch too close to the sidewalk.
--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions
then search the Wiki, and this list,
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/
Mailinglist etiquette -
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette
More information about the mythtv-users
mailing list