[mythtv-users] Signal strength, Freeview uk.

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 11:00:08 UTC 2007

Neil Milne wrote:
> Also, I think the kernel drivers don't always report the correct
> strength - mine have always shown between 18-22 strength, but I have a
> standalone freeview box which reports a much higher signal strength so
> I think the numbers coming from the driver are wrong.

Yes, the figures reported by the drivers can be all over the place for
different tuners. For a while my KWorld 100s reported a 7% signal
strength even although recording wise they're the most reliable
tuners(compared to the Compro's and dibcom based USB tuners I have).

I believe the MythTV wiki covers this, but when it comes to signal
quality having a tune lock with steady snr and ber values is what you're
really looking for. The signal strength at best tells you that the tuner
is getting something vaguely signal-like from your aerial.

Matt