[mythtv-users] Channel changing pause

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 09:00:20 UTC 2007

On 29/06/07, Damian Surr <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:
> David Watkins wrote:
> > On 29/06/07, Damian Surr <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:
> >> How long is the delay on your Myth System when you change channels?
> >>
> >> Mine used to be about 2 or 3 seconds, but seems to have increased since
> >> I started using a higher resolution. Maybe it's because my system isn't
> >> beefy enough or maybe the signal I'm getting isn't strong enough, or
> >> maybe there's always a delay with digital TV (I have no experience of
> >> Freeview in the UK outside of Myth).
> >
> > Yes there's always a delay with digital (for example my DAB radio
> > takes about 2 seconds to change station).  2 to 3 seconds sounds about
> > right for mythtv, though some people report longer.  Search the list;
> > you'll find *much* discussion on it.
> >
> > Simply put, your card takes a while to retune, there's some database
> > and file management going on and mythtv has to collect enough data
> > before it can start the decode process.
> >

> Great, thanks for clearing that up David. I may decide to go back down
> to the lower resolution. 2-3 seconds seemed a bit unpleasant, but ok.
> 4-5-6 seconds doesn't feel nice. It'd be fine if we were using Myth the
> way that I'd like to (pre-recording everything), but my girlfriend seems
> to still like watching live TV for some reason.

Maybe a bit more RAM would help with the higher resolution?  I don't
know really.  We hardly ever watch LiveTV and when we do I still have
the direct (analog tuner) input to the TV.

I assume you're using (or at least have tried) 'Browse' mode, which
means that you can scroll quickly through the channels, seeing only
the guide data.  When you get to the channel you want you press OK and
the channel change takes effect.  You can enable it by default in the
frontend setup somewhere, or toggle it on and off with 'O'.