[mythtv-users] Can't Get pcHDTV-5500 To Work With MythTV

Donald J. Maddox dmaddox099 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 11:02:42 UTC 2007

Dylan Semler wrote:
> On 6/26/07, *Donald J. Maddox* <dmaddox099 at yahoo.com
> <mailto:dmaddox099 at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     HOWEVER, MythTV cannot find even a single digital channel with it's
>     built-in channel scanner - not even if I point it to my known-working
>     with mplayer channels.conf!  Although it does appear to be able to
>     find
>     all the analog channels when I scan for them, it will not tune them in
>     live TV if I switch to that input.
>
>     Anybody have any idea what might be going wrong here?  The box is an
>     updated Fedora Core 6 machine with kernel 2.6.20-1.2962 (didn't work
>     with .2952 either), and my MythTV version is installed from the
>     0.20.1-158 rp
>

> I have done successful channel scans with an HD-5500 in F7 and FC5
> using mythtv.  I don't imagine there's a specific problem with FC6.
> I'd make sure that your frequency tables are set correctly (broadcast
> or cable) and you're using the correct modulation (QAM-256).  Also, it
> maybe necessary to "open DVB card on demand" (from mythtv-setup ->
> Capture Cards -> <HD-5500 card> -> Recording Options).  You also may
> want to adjust the timeouts to something more like 5500 msec.
>
> I believe the kernel that I was using when I did the scan was
> kernel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 if you're interested.
>
> --
> Dylan

Well, as you may recall from my original posting, it all works great
with other programs, just not with MythTV - so the frequency tables and
modulation type are definitely correct.  I have tried with 'open DVB
card on demand' and without, and it makes no difference in this case.
Lengthening the timeouts doesn't help either - it consistently shows 0%
signal on every channel, or occasionally, some random percentages, like
29% signal, and 4% S/N - but in those cases these random number will
stay the exactly same for every channel as it scans, which doesn't even
make sense.

I could try downgrading the kernel to the version you say was working
for you maybe...