[mythtv-users] Any Gentoo MythWeb users who could help out?

Jarom McDonald jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu
Wed Jun 27 18:30:23 UTC 2007

Mark Knecht wrote:

> I did not edit that file. Actually I found two files in the /var/www directory:
>
> /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mythweb/data/.htaccess
> /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mythweb/.htaccess
>
> I didn't edit either of them as the Gentoo Wiki said to edit
> /etc/apache2/httpd.conf. Is that wrong?

You have to edit both ... the wiki is incomplete on this. The file
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf needs to be edited merely to tell apache that
for the directory specificed (for Gentoo, generally
/var/www/localhost/htdocs/mythweb), it's ok to read an .htaccess file in
that directory and let it override general Apache settings. If the
AllowOverride parameter were set to "none" in the
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf file, then the .htaccess file in your mythweb
directory would never be read.

The actual .htaccess file also needs to be edited. First of all, you
have to make sure that the <Directory> element near the top of the file
accurately reflects where mythweb is installed. Then, you should
probably uncomment the AuthType, AuthName, AuthUserFile, and Require
lines, making them match how you set up the authentication (using Basic
or Digest, what you want the Authentication module to be called, where
you'll store your password file, and who is required to authenticate).
Note that this alone will not allow you to authenticate; you'll need to
actually create the Digest Authentication (or Basic Authentication if
you choose it) files from the command line. The link which the wiki
provides -- http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html -- is quite
good.

Following the authentication section, the .htaccess file will have a
series of commands to set environment variables for the database
connection (the lines that begin with setenv). Make sure they are all
uncommented and that they accurately reflect how you've defined your
server name, your database name, your mysql login name, and your mysql
password.

Finally, the fact that you're getting merely a directory listing instead
of having your browser actually redirect to the mythweb.php script means
the rewrite rules aren't working properly. If you've modified your
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf file to allow .htaccess overrides, you have to
restart apache before it will start picking up the .htaccess rewrite
declarations (restart apache with /etc/init.d/apache2 restart).
Additionally, check to make sure  the rewrite sections of the .htaccess
file are uncommented (RewriteEngine on, all the RewriteRule lines, etc.).

--
Jarom McDonald
Assistant Research Professor
jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu