[mythtv-users] ivtv capture is good, but mythtv hoses it

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 17:02:16 UTC 2007

On 27/06/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 06/27/2007 11:42 AM, Raphael Pooser wrote:
> > Can you expound on the stream type point?
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/devel/9852#9852 (and the rest
> of the thread)
>
> > I see you have DVD-Special 2.
> > I'm using the default that's first selected in the recording profile,
> > something like Mpeg2-TS or similar.
> > Is there a big difference between that and DVD-Special? Do these streams
> > have anything to do with the fps of the recordings?
>
> No.  The DVD-Special 2 settings are used by Windows MCE (and, therefore,
> probably pretty well tested).  The differences between the 3 DVD types
> is on a "micro" scale (and may have more effect on the card than the
> resultant output).
>
> You should probably use DVD/DVD-Special 1/DVD-Special 2 at 352x480,
> 480x480 or 720x480 for the most "robust" recording/playback settings.
> While MPEG-PS wouldn't be a bad choice, MPEG-TS is really unnecessary
> (as your Myth box should be considered reliable media where loss of data
> is unlikely and error correction is unnecessary).

Just to point out potential issues when using new stable/trunk
releases of MythTV with older versions of ivtv and the DVD-Special 2
stream type:

2007-06-27 05:27:37.940 External Tuning program exited with no error
2007-06-27 05:27:38.042 MPEGRec(/dev/video0) Warning: Stream type
'DVD-Special 2'
                        is not supported by ivtv driver, using 'DVD' instead.
2007-06-27 05:27:38.104 MPEGRec(/dev/video0) Warning: VBI recording
with broken drivers.
                        Upgrade to ivtv 0.10.0 if you experience problems.
2007-06-27 05:27:38.084 Started recording: The New Yankee Workshop
"Bermuda Chest": channel 4021 on cardid 4, sourceid 2

To me, at least, this error is incorrect, as the information I see
from looking at ivtv.h from the ivtv driver source is:

[root at homer driver]# cat /usr/src/ivtv-0.6.7/driver/ivtv.h |fgrep "IVTV_STREAM_"
#define IVTV_STREAM_PS          0
#define IVTV_STREAM_TS          1
#define IVTV_STREAM_MPEG1       2
#define IVTV_STREAM_PES_AV      3
#define IVTV_STREAM_PES_V       5
#define IVTV_STREAM_PES_A       7
#define IVTV_STREAM_DVD         10
#define IVTV_STREAM_VCD         11
#define IVTV_STREAM_SVCD        12
#define IVTV_STREAM_DVD_S1      13
#define IVTV_STREAM_DVD_S2      14
#define IVTV_STREAM_INFO_V1_SIZE 8

I haven't gotten around to looking into this further, due to the
smaller amount of recordings I do through the PVR card than my DVB-T
cards and the fact the captures look OK (no HD here!), so perhaps it
is simply a matter of changing a setting in the DB.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/