[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Jun 27 15:25:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 07:26 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> I've heard all this before, just replace "HD" with "color".

Indeed!  I was even going to compare it to bw->color but didn't really
have any fact wrt to it so didn't bother.

> I notice that it's pretty rare to see a B+W set these days though.

True enough.  But a) what was the year-over-year take up rate on color
and who bought in first, consumers or producers?

I remember M&D having a B&W set when I was a kid and we were probably
the last of anyone I know to go color.  I guess the apple doesn't fall
far.  But I guess it was the same for my dad, no need to ditch a
perfectly good TV just because some new whiz-bang technology is
available.

> The biggest problem is a lack of understanding on the part of just about
> everyone of the difference between "digital" and "Hi-Def".

Right.  My cableco keeps calling me wanting me to go digital.  "Oh but
the great picture" they keep saying.  Not "Oh, but all the HD that we
have".

> If you ever need a laugh, just go down to your local Circuit City and
> listen to some 18-year-old minimum wager "explain" things to a potential
> customer.

Heh.

b.

Brian J. Murrell