[mythtv-users] Minimum RAM requirements for Mythdora 4.0?

Mike LaPlante mike at dividia.net
Wed Jun 27 13:40:40 UTC 2007

> I forgot to ask in my original post, does anyone know if there are any
> "non essential" services that I could turn
> off in Mythdora to save on RAM requirements?  I am thinking that I
> might be able to shut off the SSH server, as I won't
> be using that part of the distro.  Also, not being a FC6 guru, could
> you tell me where to go in the configurations to
> turn on & off the various services/processes that automatically get
> started on each reboot?  Thanks!!
>
> Brad

Have a look at this link, its for Fedora 7 but most of it applies to FC6.
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-services-f7.html

What I usually do to cut down on services in Fedora is go into
/etc/init.d as root. Run "chkconfig --list | grep :on". This should
print a list of services and show what runlevels they start/stop at.
Then I usually turn of 10 to 15 of them like this.

# for x in bluetooth btseed bttrack cups cups-config-daemon firstboot ;
do chkconfig $x off ; done

My list is usually much longer than that but you get the idea. I don't
know how much ram it will save you but your boot time should definitely
speed up a bit. The link has descriptions of what each service does. Or
else just "less" the init script and it should have a short explanation
at the top.

Mike