[mythtv-users] Zap2It fiasco - what can we as users do?

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Tue Jun 26 23:20:01 UTC 2007

>Asterisk still has ownership issues, though.  It's largely useless
without one key piece of hardware -- the Digium TDM card.  Only Digium
really knows how to write drivers for that card, and the Asterisk
>community is highly dependent on them to fix bugs and add features.  If
Digium decided to get out of that business Asterisk would be little
better off than we are right now with Zap2It Labs closing up shop

Hi David, actually that's not correct, you can run an asterisk server
without a Digium card to connect to the pstn or isdn, in fact there are
competing cards against the Digium that in certain circumstances are
even preferable if you did 'have' to connect to the pstn. (eg rhino or
event lucent max's if you are running large installs).

Although Digium make a large portion of their money from card sales they
also make a significant amount through consultation fees etc.

And I disagree that MythTV is a non commercial in it's nature...all the
other dvr manufacturers are in it for a buck :-)

- it's just the way the community has developed for various reasons.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Pty Ltd
dean at cognation.net