[mythtv-users] Zap2It fiasco - what can we as users do?

brian turbo at talstar.com
Tue Jun 26 21:34:37 UTC 2007

Victor Perez wrote:
> On 6/22/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>
>> Michael Jones wrote:
>> The best thing he could tell you is: Just wait and see what happens. We
>> have already been told that the devs are working on it. I can't think of
>> any group better qualified to look into the matter, or more likely to
>> succeed.
>>

> What are the devs working on?, we need to know.

   Actually, no.. you don't *need* to know.  You (probably) didn't know what
   they were working on before the zap2it announcement, either.

> A deal with TMS or any other listing provider (if any) is not good enough.

   Says who?

> We need to make mythtv independent of any third party commercial source and
 > I suggest the devs to come out of the dark and talk so we can coordinate a
 > single effort, otherwise we are going to have a mess.

   They (the devs) seem to have managed the entire MythTV project, thus far,
   without need of your (or any user's) stewardship.

> Our current scenario:
> - Group A (the devs) is doing God knows what

   I'm sure you'll know, in time, what they've been working on.

> - Groups B, C, D and F are negotiating a license with TMS to create a
> subscription based datadirect.

> - Groups H, I, J, etc are coming up with free solutions (bittorrent, nntp,
> cddb like, etc)

   And these seem to universally focus on distribution methods, to solve the
   (non-existant) "bandwidth issue".  There is no short-term (and only a pie-
   in-the-sky vague rendition of a long-term) solution or proposal on where
   the actual data is coming from, whilst they toss about how to distribute it.
   [See:  "Cart, Putting thereof, before Horse, The"]

> What is going to happen:
> - Some groups comes out with a commercial solution

   perhaps.

> - Others create a bittorrent based solution

   which, again, addresses a distribution of information and ignores (in the
   short-term, at least) the problem of having data to distribute.

> - The devs come out with their own thing and since they manage the code
> refuse to merge the other solutions.
> - Other groups fork the code
> - Welcome to mythhell

   Sorry, you lost me at "we need to know".

  - briand