[mythtv-users] Partitioning Recomendations

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 21:42:50 UTC 2007

On 25/06/07, Ben Edwards <funkytwig at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/06/07, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 25/06/07, Ben Edwards <funkytwig at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I am about to rebuild my Mythtv/Ubuntu Feisty box.  Previously I had
> > > the whole thing in one big partition, but I want to do it properly
> > > this time.  Its on a 250GB (seems to give me around 232GB formated I
> > > was using lvm/xfs).
> > >
> > > I think the partitions I want are:-
> > >
> > > swap 512MB (I have 512MB memory)
> > > / 10GB xfs
> > > /boot 256MB
> > > /myth xfs rest
> > > Does this make sense or should I do /usr, /home, /var... seperate?
> >

> > I'd use ext3 for root.
> >
> > My personal choice was.
> >
> > swap 256MB
> > /   10GB ext3  (42% used)
> > /boot 100MB ext3 (16% used)
> > /home 3GB ext3 (18% used)
> > /var 2GB ext3 (15% used)
> > /mythtv xfs (the rest)
> >
> > From my experience I'd put /home on a separate partition.  Otherwise,
> > every now and then I'd copy a video file into my home area and squash
> > the root space.
>
> Did you symlink /tmp to /mythtv.  It seems a good idea as /temp can
> use quite a lot when you are creating dvds etc.

I haven't done that, but you're right it does seem a good idea.  I
must admit I haven't used mytharchive on my new system yet, so I
haven't looked into where it stores it's temporary stuff.  I have
mythtv set to keep 15GB of the recording partition free (of a 300 GB
disk) so I'd be looking to use that space as DVD working space.