[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Mon Jun 25 17:21:37 UTC 2007

On Monday 25 June 2007 12:51, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 12:36:49PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 12:30:02PM -0400, Rod Smith wrote:
> > > It might also be possible to contract with SuperNews (or similar big
> > > news server operators) to provide public access to just the desired
> > > newsgroup hierarchy for a reasonable fee.
> >
> > Sure.  Course, they're not all that pricey to begin with, are they?
>
> They carry binary groups and consequently charge for the first limit
> reached of [downloaded bytes or calendar limit]. The 36 GB/365 days
> account is $43.

I was thinking of something the community could pay for as a backup server for
any user. This would require access to just the newsgroups we'd use for
distribution, but with a public account name and password. I honestly don't
know how much download traffic that would generate or what SuperNews would
charge for it (or even if they'd permit such use, but I'm sure SOMEBODY
would). An alternative, of course, would be to run a news server ourselves.
Even a home box with Leafnode would probably be adequate if the need for a
backup was light, although if it got too much traffic something bigger would
be required.

The big question, of course, is how to pay for any of these options. We might
need to set up a donation system or run a Web site to get funds from Amazon
Associates fees from links to DVDs or some such.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com