[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Mon Jun 25 16:30:02 UTC 2007

On Monday 25 June 2007 11:57, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 10:48:24AM -0400, Rod Smith wrote:
>
> > It could be easier to just maintain a separate server (HTTP, FTP, NNTP,
> > or whatever) that's open to all but intended only for retrieving missing
> > posts.
>
> Well, I think that's inherent in commercial NNTP service, no?  There's
> a fixed event horizon: people only schedule out 2 or 3 weeks, and
> postings hard-expire 6 hours after airtime, or less.  I don't think the
> traffic load would be too painful for supernews.

Yes, but this particular sub-issue is about missing posts. If John Doe's ISP's
NNTP server is missing the post that holds Tuesday's data for his local NBC
station, he'll need somewhere to get it. John could of course subscribe to
SuperNews as his primary NNTP server, but to protect against the occasional
lost post, another solution is necessary, or at least desirable.

OTOH, I just Googled on "free Usenet servers" and got quite a few hits -- it
seems there are still quite a few free Usenet servers out there. If the
community took steps to ensure that a couple of them have reliable postings,
the reliability problem would go away; these servers could automatically be
polled in case a missing post is discovered, and people without NNTP provided
by their ISPs could use such a server as a primary.

It might also be possible to contract with SuperNews (or similar big news
server operators) to provide public access to just the desired newsgroup
hierarchy for a reasonable fee.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com