[mythtv-users] alsa rate change on via8237 spdif

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Jun 25 07:49:55 UTC 2007

>> OK, so that's the difference--it's not a Realtek CODEC.  Ignore the
>> IEC968 Playback Source (i.e. it's not relevant for your card).
>>
>> I'd try the above approach (with subdevice 3 first).  If that doesn't
>> work, try the first approach I mentioned, but try both 0 and 3 for
>> AC97-SPSA.  (For all three tests, don't worry about IEC958 Playback
>> Source).
>>
>> Mike
>
> Thanks for persisting Mike. After a few Friday night messups (like logging
> in as root and changing the .asoundrc in the MythTV users home directory
> without su'ing as that user before testing with aplay) that caused me to
> think I was getting nowhere, I ended up with a minor adaptation of yet
> another config file I found on the MythTV wiki.
>
> I think the major difference to the last time I tried this (about a year
> ago) is that I'm now running a 2.6.20 kernel, up 7 versions from last
> time!!
>
> I've tested with 48k, 44k and 22k samplerate files and it appears to be
> fine. Just got to change lirc to repeat the vol up/down and mutes codes to
> the ir blaster on the theatre amp and see if it survives a reboot and I'm
> sorted!! Guess I better check that th passthrough still works as well.
>
> media # cat .asoundrc
> pcm.!default {
>      type rate
>      slave.pcm "iec958"
>      slave.rate 48000
>      slave.format S16_LE
>      converter "samplerate_best"
> }

The above changes didn't survive a reboot so I deleted the .asoundrc file
completely meaning to revert to analog mode again and it continues to work
through the spdif output *complete with rate changing*.

I don't get it! 2 years I've been hacking at this and now it works without
any config at all!! I've made a backup of the asound.state that the init.d
startup/shutdown file makes and checked across another reboot and still it
works.

Now I have to discover how I do it manually so I can put in a better rate
change library plugin :-)

--
Robin Gilks