[mythtv-users] Zap2It - isn't this a two part problem?

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Jun 24 18:09:19 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 01:56:38AM -0500, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2007, at 15.30, Brock Nanson wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > However, I'm wondering about the distribution problem.  NNTP seems
> > to be the direction the conversation is heading.  What about
> > BitTorrent? Perhaps a torrent for each service provider... i.e.,
> > one for Bell ExpressVu, Direct, whatever the various carriers are.
>
> The problem is that each carrier has different line ups not just by
> region (North East US, Midwest US. etc) but down as far as individual
> COUNTIES.  So that's thousands upon thousands of different lineups,
> then you have the problem of different lineups in the same area. For
> example: local broadcast, satellite, cable, digital cable, etc. So

	Yup and they all have a remarkable amount of overlap.

	Like I've said before, it's a more a matter of how much
you are paying your provider than what provider you have. Most
channels are national. A few per market are local and common to
the entire market.

	It should be pretty easy to divide the nationals into a
small set of groups and have all of each set of local stations
in their own group.

	Give stations unique global id's and individual users
can sort out the difference. For each major market you could
even have one giant blob with all available channels for all
available providers. (maybe leave off PPV)

> now we've got perhaps six to seven times the number of lineups. Then
> we've got the problem I have, where I'm pretty much the only guy in
> the area. BitTorrent would be just too inefficient.

	...or you could split it up between the channels that 95%
of the users in the US can get vs the rest.

> Then there's the whole issue of Isaac avoid mixing MythTV with
> controversial technology. If Myth is tied to BitTorrent, then people

	...well that's the real problem here.

[deletia]

	Even if we use the bittorrent idea, it can't be called that or associated
with other bittorrent networks in any way shape or form.