[mythtv-users] Let's get our heads straight here on listings solutions

Mattias Holmlund mattias.holmlund at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 17:07:43 UTC 2007

On 6/23/07, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Mattias Holmlund <mattias.holmlund at gmail.com> says:
> > I would guess that a lot of stations collaborate so you can probably
> > use the same parser for many channels.
>
> There are 210 Designated Market Areas in the United States. The vast
> majority of them each have a local affiliate station for each of the
> six national commercial broadcast networks and the national
> non-commercial broadcast network, plus several independent
> stations. Each of those local affiliate stations uses a broadcast
> schedule slightly different from every other affiliate for that
> network. Each of those independent stations uses a broadcast schedule
> slightly or entirely different from every other independent
> station. Many of these stations, affiliated or independent, air
> programs on more than one channel, each with a different schedule.

What I meant was that a lot of stations probably use the same format
for their schedules so that you can handle them with the same parser.

> As much as I'd love to be able to say that we US MythTV users can
> follow the Swedish example, Mattias, it's just not possible.

Maybe you are right. But I think it will be even harder to convince
all stations to publish data in a format that you dictate to them. I
have failed completely to do that for Sweden.

/Mattias

--
Mattias Holmlund
http://www.holmlund.se/mattias/