[mythtv-users] Let's get our heads straight here on listings solutions

David Lonie loniedavid at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 00:41:18 UTC 2007

On Friday 22 June 2007 18:58, Joe Borne wrote:

> We need an effective, accurate and
> expedient solution.

No argument here. That's what I'm counting on the devs for. But why stop
there?

> Finding a way to make this situation profitable
> for the Zap2It people, or another vendor represents our best chance at
> this.

I definately am not a fan of supporting the Zap2It folks longer than we have
to. If the devs strike a deal with them, then great. But what's to prevent
this from happening again in the future? And perhaps the question that myself
and other supporters of this project are focusing on: Why aren't tv listing
public available like this anyway? It's pure BS that Tribune and Gemstar can
monopolize something that should be public domain.

If another vendor steps up and hosts listings in a logical fashion, like
google or imdb for instance, Great! That cuts down on what we intend to do.
All that'd be left is the backend.

> Failure is not an option!

I'm assuming that failure in this context means downtime. Whether or not there
is downtime depends on the devs or other groups who are trying alternate
routes. What our intention is has little to do with the current mythtv
situation - we will be completely unable to provide a solution by the time
Z2L says "buh-bye. Click." What I'm thinking of could be years in the making,
but I will not say impossible. It has yet to be seen how the stations will
react, but there is no reason not to try.

> So at this point I'm going to discontinue this conversation. The
> MythTV project is near and dear to me and so I sought to lend my
> knowledgebase to finding solution. As always, there are stakeholders
> who take advocacy positions. Although they have the best intentions,
> their efforts do nothing but slow the progress to a real solution. In
> my opinion that is what we are seeing here.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. From my point of view, however, you
have just described yourself at this point. We are brainstorming an idea to
make a change and you have put your effort into stopping it. If we fail, we
are at no loss. I applaud your forebearance in stepping down with dignity and
not resorting to bickering and senseless name-call ( Which I believe is what
truely slows the progress to the solution.) If tying up this mailing list is
being considered an impedance, I have applied with sourceforge for the
continuation of this project. So we will be off the list and those interested
can follow along. I will post the address when I have it.

On that note, I will be continuing this discussion ;)

> So I'm going to put my trust in the core Myth team. So far they
> haven't disappointed.

And I don't believe they will start anytime soon.

Dave