[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping was: Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 22 19:43:25 UTC 2007

Dewey Smolka wrote:
> On 6/22/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>
>> I think a lot of folks (like content owners) hear "ripping" and
>> immediately think of audio CDs and illegal activity.
>
> I think Brian is spot on, but on the other hand, I don't think I've
> ever heard anyone suggest that ripping a (Red Book) CD is illegal.
> After all, there's no DMCA violation, and no copyright violation
> unless and until the work is redistributed. I believe the law even
> specifically allows copying audio recordings for personal use, or for
> e.g. family members.

It's not the "ripping", but what's done with the rip. The music is often
given to friends, posted on the internet or played by a DJ. In short: It
costs sales.

Think about the derivation of the word itself: "rip off": steal, "rip":
tear, rend, grab from. I can't think of a single positive connotation of
the word.

Nor can I think if any term better calculated to infuriate the owners of
whatever is being "ripped".

> I do think it's in bad form to use language that suggests that MythTV
> users are doing anything more than protecting their media investment,
> but we also shouldn't suggest that certain activities are illegal when
> they are nothing of the kind.
>
> Of course I could be wrong . . .

DVD "rips" being used with Myth systems certainly do NOT cost DVD sales.
I would argue that they would tend to increase them. The more convenient
you make it to watch a DVD the more are likely to be purchased.

But, I can speak from personal knowledge that this is NOT the way things
are perceived by the "Industry". This is due to ignorance on their part,
I know, but it is reality none the less.

All I have tried to do over the past months is suggest that, if you do
discuss the use of commercial DVDs with Myth systems, you refrain from
using the word "rip", if you are not in the USA you state that fact, you
might consider adding the two words "paid for" somewhere in your post,
and generally remember that this list is archived for all time, and is
accessible to many people other than the participants, for a lot of
reasons other than promoting MythTV.

Sorry for the diatribe.

BEWW