[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jun 22 15:28:01 UTC 2007

> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>>> There's probably a decent argument for having a small hierarchy.
>>>

>> If we can get entire-hierarchy carriage, sure.  I'm not intimately
>> involved with 'backbone' thinking these days.
>>

>>> Dividing by time zones or geography seems like a good first
>>> stab:
>>>
>>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.eastern
>>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.central
>>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.mountain
>>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.pacific
>>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.hawaii
>>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.alaska
>>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.satellite
>>>
>>> Why different for Hawaii and Alaska? Because I don't think
>>> their non-satellite television has a whole lot of overlap --
>>> though I may be wrong.
>>>

>> As it happens, those are time-zone names.
>>
>> But someone else suggested giving each program source it's own
>> newgroup, which, while it expands the field, makes the parsing easier.
>> It's an architectural decision, depending on facts not yet in evidence.
>>

>>> And why the .na. in the middle? Because the overlap in
>>> programming between Washington DC and La Paz is probably
>>> small. And satellites visible across the US, northern Mexico and
>>> southern Canada are probably not visible from Rio de Janeiro.
>>>

>> Indeed.
>>
>> Did you make up "alt.updates"?  Cause that's nice.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- jra
>>

> Not sure if it has been pointed out (dons flame retardant suit now), but
> NNTP is not accessible by everyone easily.  Many ISP's block it
> entirely, some offer it (Comcast) but require you to pay extra to access
> it, while some do allow for it on a limited basis.  Are there free news
> servers out there?  Sure.  But I know of a few people who have Comcast
> who can't even get those newsfeeds due to Comcast blocking them.

   NNTP could merely be a replication mechanism for master servers. Once
the data is spread out to n+1 master servers, it could be exposed to
everyone else using some other mechanism.