[mythtv-users] Scrambled Screen when X starts - Nvidia 5200 - Driver Problem?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 22 01:45:19 UTC 2007

Michael George wrote:
> All,
>
> I installed my Geforce 5200 today and it was looking great, right up to
> the point that X windows started and then the screen turned into a
> pixelated garbled mess.  Based on what I've read, this is a driver
> problem.
>
> My Current Driver Version is:
>
> nvidia-graphics7184-kmdl-2.6.20-1.2948.fc6-1.0_7184-74.2.fc6
> nvidia-graphics-devices-1.0-5.fc6.at
> <http://nvidia-graphics-devices-1.0-5.fc6.at>
>
> and according to /proc/driver/nvidia/cards , I have a GeForce FX5200
>
> Model:           GeForce FX 5200
>
> According to X, it is using the "nv" driver
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "nv"
> EndSection
>
> and I added the configmonitor stanza's but no luck.
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Generic Monitor"
>         HorizSync    30 - 50
>         VertRefresh  60.0    # Use 50.0 in UK / Europe (PAL-x, except PAL-M)
> EndSection
>

> If anyone has any ideas on how to get the S-VIDEO working properly I
> would appreciate your guidance.

For starters you pretty much have to use the nVidia "binary blob"
driver, the generic "nv" driver will not perform up to par.

You didn't mention what distro you are using, most of them have some
mechanism to install the nVidia driver, if your doesn't, you can go to
the nVidia site and get their universal installer script and run it.

BEWW