[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Wed Jun 20 20:36:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:18:41 -0700
"Fedor Pikus" <fpikus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/20/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 12:00:56PM -0700, Srikant Sharma wrote:
> > >    I assume their (zap2it/TMS) major complaint is the abuse of
> > > their facility and the load on their servers.
> >
> > I believe this not to be their primary complaint.

<snip>

> > Since Z2L's motivation for giving it away for free (aside from the
> > screen scraping problem) was that it provided them useful
> > penetration numbers and research, which this practice interfered
> > with -- and since they *charge* commercial PVR software makers for
> > that privilege -- they were annoyed.
>
> So basically, if I buy a PC and install MythTV on it myself, it's ok,
> but if I buy a PC with MythTV pre-installed, it's a problem? What if I
> buy it, but then update it with new MythTv myself? What if I bought a
> Dell and paid someone to install MythTv on it?

Not necessarily, if you change the setting to use *your* account on Zap2It it's not a problem.  It's that the re-sellers are using one account on all the machines they resell and not requiring end users to setup their own account and configure MythTV with that data.

This would be like someone selling some Internet appliance and using a single dial-up ISP account on all of them...

That's if I understand the situation correctly. ;-)