[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jun 20 15:10:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:54:29AM -0400, John Drescher wrote:
>      On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 10:28 -0400, ryan patterson wrote:
>      > $60/year for a few hundred kilobytes of text files?  That would be way
>      > over priced.
>
>    Do you subscribe to callerid, three way calling, voice mail ... from your
>    local phone company? I mean these services cost the company pennies a year
>    per customer but they charge $5 to $10 per month per service.

They actually have no marginal cost to the carrier at all these days.
There is no commercially available local exchange switch for which the
hardware and software for these services is not preprovisioned.

Well, except maybe voicemail.  But the uptake on all of them is such
that they're going to be installed on every switch you see.

These days, amusingly, it requires extra-cost hardware *to process
pulse dialling*.  Or so I've been told.  :-)

Here's a different question: if there are Things Going On In The
Background, why did Zap2It cut those notional people's legs out from
underthem by preannouncing?  Just to see if the size of the firestorm
was big enough?

Or am I a cynic?

Cheers,
-- jra