[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 14:55:00 UTC 2007

Dean Collins wrote:

> Is anyone going to bitch if I suggest an advertising supported model?
>
> Small banner add on the base of your epg in the same way that
> Spiceworks delivers their advertisements?
> http://deancollinsblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/spiceworks-killer-app-for-network.html
>
> I’m actually in the process of paying for the development of an ad
> supported Asterisk application but when I’ve approached the Myth-TV
> community about commercial projects in the past you guys get your
> knickers in a knot faster then even the asterisk community.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dean Collins
> Cognation Pty Ltd
> dean at cognation.net
> <mailto:dean at cognation.net>+1-212-203-4357 Ph
> +61-2-9016-5642 (Sydney in-dial).

My Comcast STB works that way... wait I PAY them per month to rent the
damn box and I still see ads at the bottom of my listings?
But yes, personally I think that's a great idea if no additional fees
are incurred. You don't even need to collect personal info; the ad can
relate to current ads running on a channel on the current guide page or
something. One of the reasons I chose myth over any other DVR like a
cable DVR or Tivo was because I control it and it's totally free. Paying
for listings would start to put a dent in my reasoning. I know I'm a
scrooge.
Raphael