[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Jun 20 14:14:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 10:00 -0400, Michael Jones wrote:
> At $500/month, or $6000 a year it would require 1200 subscribers
> paying $5 year to break even...

Hrm.  Something tells me that it's really not this simple.  Surely the
TMS bean counters have come to the conclusion that the number of users
the data satisfies is relative to it's worth.

Surely they have not missed the boat on the fact that a national
newspaper like USA Today or The NY Times satisfies a much bigger
subscriber base than a small 500 subscriber newspaper.

Surely they have not ignored the "per seat" model than almost everyone
selling a single reproducible copy of something is using.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the basic greedy nature of mankind and corporation
makes me think I am right.

But let's suppose somebody does set up an amicable (to both TMS and
subscriber base) agreement to collect subscriber fees and pay TMS.
What's to stop the same abuse that is going on currently from
continuing?  How is this "somebody" going to curb it any better than
Zap2It could?  Surely license (from TMS) to the data does not include
the right for the licencee to allow re-distribution by it's customers.

So now not only will this "somebody" need to collect enough to pay for
it's license to TMS, they will have to collect enough to build up a
legal fund to prosecute the abusers.

One can see why Zap2It wants to stop dealing with consumers.

b.

Brian J. Murrell