[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 13:38:56 UTC 2007

> On Wednesday 20 June 2007 10:54 am, William Munson wrote:
> > Does not surprise me in the least. It costs them big $$ to purchase the
> > info and we pirate the info for free (Yes I know they let us with the
> > labs.)
>
> I never did understand why listings cost money, after all if viewers
> can't/don't get listings they won't watch your programme.
You can get individual listings on web sites of many of the channels
or your local cable company may have a guide online.

> I don't pay for all
> the adverts on web pages. Does the industry really think that people will
> just turn on the TV to a random channel and buy whatever appears in the ads?

I believe the problem is the individual user was not the intended
direct customer of these listings. I mean your local news paper pays a
company a large fee to that it can print your weekly guide to
thousands of customers. For them they see this payment as a service of
collecting and compiling this data and it makes sense as they would
have to go to multiple outlets to get all the data. When TIVO entered
the market they were charged this same type of fee so they just passed
the cost on to the user as a monthly fee.

John