[mythtv-users] Slow recorded programs viewing but fast on other menu's

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 19 16:13:28 UTC 2007

On 06/19/2007 07:43 AM, David Won wrote:
> On 6/18/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 06/18/2007 07:30 PM, David Won wrote:
>>>
>>> Long time Myth user looking for tips from the pros. I have a new
>>> frontend in the bedroom running on a mini itx system The main
>>> menu's and whatnot run pretty quick with nice gl transitions but
>>> when I go into the recorded programs screen everything slows to a
>>> crawl. I have previews turned off and no thumbnails but it's
>>> still almost unusable. Or at least un-wife friendly.
>>>
>>> Anybody have any tips on why this could be or what I could try to
>>> speed things up?
>>
>> Are you doing something crazy like deleting all the PNG preview
>> images? If so, you'd get the exact same behavior you're
>> experiencing.  And, Myth couldn't fix the problem if the user
>> running mythfrontend doesn't have write permission to the
>> recordings directory.
>
> I'm just trying to find a show to watch.  I turned off the live
> previews and thumbnails to try to speed things up.

Which doesn't answer my question.  Did you do an "rm *.png" in the
recordings directory?  If so, you'd get the exact behavior you
describe.  The reason is because /regardless/ of whether you enable or
disable "Display thumbnail preview images of recordings," they are
generated (and Myth will look for them).  If you delete them,
mythfrontend will try to re-create them so they're there when needed.

> It takes 5 seconds
> to move one show title.

If you're not deleting the PNG's, you've probably specified a location
for channel icons that the frontend can't find.  If going into the EPG
shows an equally annoying delay, this is the problem, so you need to
actually make those channel icons available to the frontend (i.e. by
copying them to the frontend or mounting the directory that contains the
icons in the path specified in the DB).

Mike