[mythtv-users] Opinions on PVR-350 Support + PVR-350 Hardware Hacking....

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 13:54:02 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, Steve Smith <st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'm considering getting a PVR-350 instead of slogging away with trying to
> get native TV out... However before I splash the cash I have some questions:
>

> 1) How stable is the PVR-350 under Myth? I know on Windows GB-PVR it's
> been all but abandoned due to instability, restart problems etc etc. What's
> the situation with Linux?

Stability seems to be a mixed bag.  Once I got it configured correctly, I
used my pvr-350 for output for over a year with no problems.  But after a
kernel/x.org upgrade the driver started crashing all the time.  I had to
revert back to a previous config to get the functionality back.  There is
probably an updated driver available now.

I think if you have it setup correctly the pvr-350 can be 100% stable.  But
it will probably take time and effort to get there.

2) The one thing lacking from the PVR-350 in my book is an RGB
> output...however looking at the specs for the TV chip (the SAA7127?) on
> board, it can produce the RGB signals. So it MAY be that I can do some fine
> brain surgery to add the 3 necessary wires. Has anyone tried this? Would
> anyone be prepared to take some high resolution piccies of both sides of the
> board so I can see how feasible it might be?

For the determined user I'm sure this is "possible."  You might have to tell
the chip to use the RGB output somehow, if it isn't enabled by default.  I'm
certain you will have to add more then three wires.  There will need to be
load resistors/capacitors on the line as well.

Will you really gain anything from running RGB at the resolution the pvr-350
uses?  I assume you are in PAL land if your standard definition TV has RGB
input.  If your TV is HD (even just extended definition like 480p)  then a
standard videocard is the way to go.

3) How well does it work for non-MPEG2 output? Is the frame buffer up to the
> task of showing DVDs/DIVx etc?

The pvr-350's frame buffer produces a better picture then an nvidia/ati
TV-out even when not using the hardware decoder.  I watched avi's and .mpegs
and it looked great.  There was some vertical tearing that was noticeable
but not distracting to me.  But beware, there is a significant amount of
overscan.  Normal shows are not a problem if you miss some stuff on the
edges but stuff with subtitles look out.

Cheers