[mythtv-users] Moving house: service options in the UK?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Jun 16 11:56:12 UTC 2007

John Pilkington wrote:
> Thank you all for the input.
>
> I expect it will be some weeks before I'm fully installed in the new
> house but I shall be better informed about what to expect!   Initially I
> shall probably just go for the Virgin phone and internet package and see
> how good the freeview reception is.  Most of my recordings now seem to
> be Radio3 - I can 'watch' it in the background, while I pretend to do
> all the things I ought to be doing and fret about moving on from FC5
> without losing my data and settings ;-)
>
> John P

Don't forget to consider the possible phone gotcha. I moved to a house
with Virgin nee NTL cable, phone and broadband already installed.
Unfortunately, all were dead - the previous occupant had moved out some
time beforehand. No BT line. I knew what NTL service centres were like
and didn't fancy my mobile's battery surviving the wait till my call got
answered (nor the brains on that side of my head).

Fortunately, there were a couple of weeks left on the rental of the
place we moved from...and a working BT phone line still. I took a
handsfree phone, a deckchair, a flask of coffee and a thick book back
and sat in the empty house.

I listened to that da**ed hold music on two separate occasions for an
hour before giving up. The third go it answered after 45 minutes. Once I
got through, gave my postcode and house number, I got phone connected
within 24 hours, TV and broadband within a week. It's just that initial
bootstrap you need.

Mike Perkins