[mythtv-users] Moving myth from /usr/local to /usr

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 04:17:51 UTC 2007

On 13/06/07, Robin Hill <myth at robinhill.me.uk> wrote:
> On Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 08:37:34AM -0700, Jon Boehm wrote:
>
> > On the flip side once a package is installed in /usr/local/ is
> > supersedes a package in /usr, especially its supporting libraries.
> >
> > As an example, when I first built my box I built lirc because the
> > Ubuntu package did not have udp support.  Now I'm stuck because the
> > Ubuntu package is more advanced and I have no defined way to remove
> > the /usr/local package.  Please tell me I'm wrong and that removing
> > an /usr/local package is simple.
> >
> If it's a package then removing it should be just the same as any other
> package.  If you mean you've installed from source into /usr/local then
> it should be easy enough to clean up the files manually - the following
> would look (at first glance anyway) to cover everything:
>
>         rm /usr/local/bin/myth*
>         rm -rf /usr/local/include/mythtv
>         rm -rf /usr/local/lib/mythtv
>         rm -rf /usr/local/share/mythtv
>         rm /usr/local/lib/libmyth*

Be very careful if you use this 'brute force' method to remove your
manually compiled/installed MythTV, especially if you have custom
scripts or configs in the /usr/local/bin directory also called myth*
(I talk from personal experience here :) ).

A much cleaner way is to run 'make uninstall' from each of the
mythtv/mythplugins/myththemes source directories as this should clean
things up nicely, and leave everything it didn't install untouched.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/