[mythtv-users] Is skipping ads really a good idea?

Cole Brodine cbrodine at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:53:08 UTC 2007

On 6/15/07, Michael Lynch <lynchmv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/15/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > Please forgive the OT, but I had to share this.
> >
> > Anyone on this list for a while knows I would not do this lightly.
> >
> > Myth would have totally eliminated this one, and I'm not so sure that
> > would have been a good thing, as it is far better than any program I
> > have seen in years.
> >
> > http://homepage.mac.com/beww1/filechute/swear_jar_300k.wmv
> >
> > BEWW
>
> Now, that is a commercial worth watching!  I need to implement that
> idea at work.

The good news is that you won't see that commercial on TV.  It's part of the
newest scheme by advertisers.  They make a video, post it to their website,
as well as youtube, google video, and even e-mail it around.  I believe it's
"viral marketing".

That particular commercial originated at http://www.bud.tv/

Seems like a genius idea to me.  Save all the money you would have paid to
put it on TV, and let people forward it around for free.  An aside here: I'm
not bashing anybody who forwards this, and in fact, I love the idea.  I
already have seen that particular video and forwarded it to a bunch of my
friends.

What I think is the even bigger discussion item: What if this becomes the
norm, and TV stations lose a lot advertising revenue?  Will cable prices go
up?  Will the quality of shows decrease? (More reality TV makes me sad)

Regards,

Cole Brodine

Visit My Website at http://www.brodine.com/
Blog: http://rabbitinhiding.blogspot.com/