[mythtv-users] mATX / micro ATX / ITX

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 15 12:44:26 UTC 2007

David George wrote:
> I have an Asus M2NPV-VM I am pretty impressed with.
>
> On 06/14/2007 06:24 PM, Dave Walker wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for a recommendation on an mATX motherboard, I'm hoping to
>> find one to fulfil the following criteria.
>>
>>  * DVI / HDMI output
>> 	Support Hi-Def 1080i output
>>
> Supports DVI-D (presently going to my 37" 1920x1080p LCD), vga,
> component video, composite video, s-video using nVidia 6150.  HDMI is
> not built in.  SPDIF is built in, but the backplate isn't included and
> they are hard to find.  SPDIF circuit isn't too hard to make though (a
> couple of resistors and a cap).
>>  * RS-232 / Serial
>> 	Ideally on header within mobo, but backplate also considered.
>>
> Two headers on motherboard.  Uses straight pinout (a.k.a
> AT/Everex/Intel).  Does not include any RS-232 cables or backplate.
>>  * Possibly Fanless
>>
> Only option with fanless I know of is Via.  I went that road a while
> back.  Nowadays give me an AMD x2 with cool-n-quiet.  I can output
> 1920x1080p (1080i source material) using 50% (720p source material was
> similar, but I don't recall exact percent off top of my head) of one of
> the cores when the processor is clocked down to 1.8GHz.  When the system
> is idle it automatically clocks down to 1GHz for even more power and
> heat savings.  Use a 65w processor (there are some 90nm 65w processors)
> or a 65nm processor for best results.
>>  * Good Value for money
>>
> I think they are a good deal.  MB/CPU/Mem for about $200 depending on
> how much RAM you get.

I can second that board as well.  I use it with a x2-3800 with cool and
quiet.  The fan hardly turns, if at all.  When clocked back to 1 ghz
it's literally cool to the touch.  I output 1280x720p via dvi->hdmi
cable. I don't think it uses more than 30% cpu on one core playing back
1080i using bob de-interlacing.  That might have been while using xvmc.
  I don't remember the details now.  I'm running standard kernel 2.6.18
in Gentoo.

Calvin...