[mythtv-users] speed of burn

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 15:14:58 UTC 2007

On 14/06/07, norman <norman at littletank.org> wrote:
> < snip >
> >
> > It sounds like you're asking about burning software that runs under Linux.
>
> That is correct.
> >
> > K3b and X-CD-Roast are standard programs for that purpose. You canalso
> > just use growisofs from the command line.
> >
> > All these methods have ways to control burning speed, see the docs of each.
>
> I was thinking of using K3b should it be necessary.
> >
> > I don't use MythArchive, which seems to be what most folks use these
> > days from within Myth, but ultimately, someplace, it has to call
> > something that performs the burn, and whatever it is calling can I'm
> > sure be modified to specify the burning speed.
> >
> > (I just use MythBurn from the MythWeb interface, I've never had a
> > problem with that in over 100 disks made, ven when it has to re-quant to
> > fit onto a 4.7 GB single-layer disk).
> >
> > But, if you specifically state a burning speed, and don't allow
> > automatic settings, you have to be careful that you don't specify a
> > speed that the drive or the media can't handle.
>
> I can understand that and presume that if left to default this would be
> taken care of.
> >
> > The real questions are, what are you using to burn, and why do you think
> > you have a speed problem ?.
>
> I am using MythArchive and, from what I have seen, there is no obvious
> provision for setting a burn speed. It is my understanding that the
> speed of burn may affect playback quality. So, my interest was to
> examine this proposition to see if it has any validity.

I'm guessing here but I would expect there to be an option in
MythArchive to create an ISO image, rather than burn straight to disk
(I know MythBurn had this feature).  I that case you could create the
ISO image and then use a separate application to burn the DVD,
controlling the burn speed as you wish.

I nearly always do this when using MythBurn, because I can check that
I've got the right audio track, audio sync, working menus etc etc
before wasting a DVD.